I'm like lots of people, looking for ways to feed something in addition to my animals's daily ration of pet food. All of our dogs and cats can enjoy a variety of protein, carbohydrates, fruits and veggies, as long as we are aware that some food can be toxic to your pet.
Here is a brief list of "Do Not Feed" items -- when in doubt, you can always find more information at a pet poison control site -- that you'll want to pay close attention to:
- Alcoholic beverages (This should go without saying. )
- Artificial sweeteners (NutraSweet, SweetN'Low, sorbitol, xylitol and similar items)
- Chocolate (all varieties and forms)
- Coffee (all varieties and forms)
- Fatty foods
- Macadamia nuts
- Moldy or spoiled foods
- Onions and onion powder
- Seeds (any type -- watch under the bird feeder too)
- Yeast dough
If you have any question about whether a food source is okay for your pet, contact your veterinarian (DVM) or call the pet poison control line at the ASPCA 888.426.4435
Email me anytime, follow me on Twitter, tell me your story, and please subscribe to my Examiner - Dogs column!