16 October 2013

Pet food ingredients and sourcing

Pet food ingredients and sourcing



If you're like me, you are probably always looking for the right things for your pets. I am constantly seeking out the right toys, the right places to walk the dogs, the right beds to keep them comfortable and even the right amounts and kind of playtime. In my world, I am fortunate to have worked in the pet food industry so finding the right natural pet food is a little simpler for me, but sometimes even I get overwhelmed. If you are shopping in a brick and mortar store or on-line, you'll probably notice the theme of every food being the "best" for you dogs and cats -- of course if there was only one "best" food, there would only be one brand of food.

One of the biggest concerns I've been hearing from people is about all the recalls of pet food and treats, and that is a legitimate concern. Most of us are looking for a healthy, natural product that is manufactured in the USA by a company that cares about the safety and quality of the pet food they make as much as I care about what I feed -- yes, that is a tall order.

When you start looking around at foods, there are lots of options. I like that Hill's offers comparison tools and recommendations for formulas. When you look through the information on the web site, you'll see that even in natural foods, it is important not to have too much or too little of key nutrients -- Hill's does a nice job of balancing their ingredients. I also liked that this line has no corn, wheat or soy and no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.

I also like that Hill’s dry foods are manufactured locally, right here at home in the USA in their own facilities. Most of their ingredients are sourced from the U.S. and all the meat and poultry comes from USDA-inspected facilities. I checked on the ingredients sourced outside of the U.S. and was told they are monitored just as strictly as those from the U.S., and Hill’s has zero tolerance for Salmonella. In fact, they conduct more than 60 quality checks on every batch of food, every ingredient can be tracked by batch or ingredient, within 24 hours, and more than 1000 Salmonella tests are conducted every month.

I've tried the Hill’s® Ideal Balance™ with my dogs, and I like how it feeds out and the dogs seem to like the flavor too. There may not be a “best” pet food for everyone, but with Hill’s® Ideal Balance™, is definitely one to consider for your companions.


Learn more about these products 
Hill's® Ideal Balance™ Natural Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Adult dog food  Hill’s® Ideal Balance™ Grain Free Natural Chicken and Potato Recipe Adult dog food
Hill’s® Ideal Balance™ Natural Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Adult cat food
Hill’s® Ideal Balance™ Grain Free Natural Chicken and Potato Recipe Adult cat food



The fine print: I have been compensated for compensated for completion of this article, but the opinions remain my own. Hill's Pet Nutrition, Inc. is not responsible for the content of this article.

No comments: